Department Head: Assoc. Prof. Jure Pražnikar
Deputy Head: Prof. Dr. Andreja Kutnar
The Department of Technology (OT) focuses its work on the study of renewable materials, namely the chemical, physical, mechanical and viscoelastic properties of renewable materials. At the same time, it introduces interdisciplinary research work in the field of environmental pollution. Researchers in the department are developing the paradigm of Restorative Environmental and Ergonomic Design (RED), with evidence of the use of wood to shape positive health impacts in the built environment. They are looking at how wood products can be used to improve indoor comfort, how natural materials can provide beneficial psychophysical responses to negative stimulation (e.g. stress), the use of wood in flexible furniture for active offices and safe, accessible environments for the elderly. The department brings together expertise from Information Communication Technology (ICT), human health, and structural and material sciences in an interdisciplinary way to provide new solutions for the design of sustainable and healthy solutions for new constructions and renovations.
Key research areas of the department:
- Wood Engineering,
- Engineered wood products,
- Wood modification,
- Wood construction,
- Environmental pollution.
Key achievements of the department in the last five years:
Acquisition of projects:
- (InnoRenew CoE), H2020 Teaming, Renewable materials and healthy environments research and innovation centre of excellence, 1.4.2017 - 30.9.2023,
- (J4-1767), ARRS, Selective extraction of high value molecules from forest products processing residues in the speciality chemicals sector, 1.7.2019 - 30.6.2022;
Publication of the following scientific monographs:
- SANDBERG, Dick, KUTNAR, Andreja, KARLSSON, Olov, JONES, Dennis. Wood modification technologies: principles, sustainability, and the need for innovation. 1st ed. Boca Raton: CRC Press: Taylor & Francis, cop. 2021. X, 431 p., graphs, tables. ISBN 978-1-138-49177-9. ISBN 978-0-367-76782-2. ISBN 978-1-351-02822-6. [COBISS.SI-ID 75331843],
- SANDAK, Anna Malgorzata, SANDAK, Jakub Michal, BRZEZICKI, Marcin, KUTNAR, Andreja. Bio-based building skin, (Environmental footprints and eco-design of products and processes). Singapore: Springer Open, cop. 2019. XV, 183 str., ilustr. ISBN 978-981-13-3746-8. ISBN 978-981-13-3747-5. https://rd.springer.com/content/pdf/10.1007%2F978-981-13-3747-5.pdf;
- (FP1407), COST Action, Understanding wood modification through an integrated scientific and environmental impact approach (2015 - 2019),
- (FP1303), COST Action, Performance of bio-based building materials (2016 - 2017).
Key objectives of the department for the next five years:
- Successful integration of the department in international consortia and attracting Green Deal projects,
- Publication of at least 15 original scientific papers in A" journals,
- Strengthen cooperation with industry on R&D projects and obtain at least one applied research project funded by ARRS,
- Continue the successful dissemination of results in the scientific and professional arena.
Key publications and events of the Department:
- Successful bid to organise the WoodRise International Congress, 6 - 7 September 2022,
- Member of the department was President of the international association SWST - Society of Wood Science and Technology. Member of the Department is Vice President of the international association InnovaWood from 2021.
Organisation of the following scientific conferences;
- InnoRenew CoE International Conference 2021, »Healthy and Sustainable Renovation with Renewable Materials«, 10-11 June 2021
- NIRItalia 2021, 24 - 25 February 2021
- InnoRenew CoE International Conference 2020, »Integrating sustainability and health in buildings through renewable materials«, 3 September 2020
- 63rd SWST International Convention »Renewable Resources for a Sustainable and Healthy Future« 2020, Virtual Conference, 12-17 July 2020
- InnoRenew CoE International Conference »Timber – A healthy future for sustainable buildings«, 7 March 2019
Science promotion activities: The department regularly organises international scientific as well as professional conferences and publishes scientific articles in open access. Members of the department regularly attend international conferences to present their achievements to the international scientific community. In addition, they give invited lectures at international universities and are involved in the teaching process at Level 2 and Level 3.